What makes a charm good?

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 14 12:52:38 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Tom Haddon <tom.haddon at canonical.com> wrote:
> "Charms run as root on the target instance, which means if you can
> script it to grab your source tarball and install it, you can totally do
> that. If your software isn't in the Ubuntu archive then this is the way
> to go, you should only need to worry about verifying the source of the
> binary."

Ok I've redone this bit to be less preachy and added some bullets to
be more clear on some options.

As far as having charms pull from an external source ... that's been
an interesting source of strong opinions, but we've not really come to
a conclusion on best practice on that other than putting them behind
config options and let the charm author and devop decide how best to
do that.

I'm of the opinion that organizations that operate like this will
likely not use the charm store anyway but will instead mirror parts of
the charm store that they want locally, and then modify/update charms
based on their own criteria, pull from their own internal vetted
sources, and so on.

> To me this isn't "flexible", this is "easy to use". "Flexible" would be
> "exposes every possible configuration option so you can customise the
> service to your exact requirements".

Do you think we should just encourage people to expose every config?
That's doable, basically pass any config flag from the juju command
right to the service. We can make that a recommendation.

--
Jorge Castro
Canonical Ltd.