Deploying multiple applications to a single environment?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Fri Nov 16 13:08:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Some providers will allow those containers to be bridged and get their
> own routable addresses, but most won't (EC2, hpcloud, etc). You are
> stuck with *one* IP per virtual machine.

That's not strictly true of EC2. VPC does allow for multiple IP
address to be assigned for a single machine.

> If you have 10 virtual machines, each with 5 LXC containers on them,
> you have 50 network addresses which must be tunneled between all 10
> virtual machines. Do you make a mesh and have all machines able to tunnel
> traffic to all the other machines? What about when you have 100 VM's?
> What about 1000?

Even if we do have to go down that route, the cost of such tunneling
isn't as significant as one might think:

    http://networkheresy.com/2012/06/08/the-overhead-of-software-tunneling/

> This starts to run into the same realm of problems which OpenStack
> quantum deals with for routing between VM's... which makes me wonder
> whether we shouldn't just let OpenStack do that part, but either way,
> Juju has no ability to do this right now.

Quantum is a mechanism that offers a generic networking API for
something like OpenStack. We're not solving problems solves by either
OpenStack or Quantum in that sense.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net