Deploying multiple applications to a single environment?

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 15 19:46:18 UTC 2012

Excerpts from ernesto's message of 2012-11-15 10:03:20 -0800:
> Why not just use container virtualization?

That is the ultimate goal. The issue right now is that the network
complexity of getting all of those containers to be able to talk to one
another is very high.

Some providers will allow those containers to be bridged and get their
own routable addresses, but most won't (EC2, hpcloud, etc). You are
stuck with *one* IP per virtual machine.

If you have 10 virtual machines, each with 5 LXC containers on them,
you have 50 network addresses which must be tunneled between all 10
virtual machines. Do you make a mesh and have all machines able to tunnel
traffic to all the other machines? What about when you have 100 VM's?
What about 1000?

We could mitigate it, by only establishing routes between related
services. But that would change the way charms have to be configured,
since right now they can reasonably expect all machines to be able to
address all others.

This starts to run into the same realm of problems which OpenStack
quantum deals with for routing between VM's... which makes me wonder
whether we shouldn't just let OpenStack do that part, but either way,
Juju has no ability to do this right now.