resource maps

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Mon May 21 18:10:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> At the risk of confusing the issue by re-using a word in-play.. there
> is precedence for using cost. Routing cost has long been understood not
> to mean dollars.
(...)
> Anyway, I don't think this can be just one field. If you call it 'order'
> instead of 'cost', you put things on a linear scale with no guidance as
> to why one thing should be equal to or above another. Amazon's instance
> types are not linear, and neither are HP's proliant servers.

That's the idea. This is just a disambiguation field: everything else
being equal, pick the preferred one based on this field.

You have a good point about cost, though. Maybe we should have "cost",
and make it an integer so it's clear that it's not USD and not
supposed to be used as such.

> FTR, if this goes forward (order, cost, etc), +1 for floats. I can't see
> any value to simplifying to ints, other than to remove confusion with

We need good reasoning to make things complex. Keeping them simple is
the default choice.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net