juju Mac OS Lion

Brandon Holtsclaw me at brandonholtsclaw.com
Tue May 1 02:45:04 UTC 2012

On 4/30/12 8:32 AM, tog wrote:
> Hi Brandon,
>
> I am a bit puzzled by your answer and actually I don't understand why
> sudo is to be banned on MacOS as this is something I am doing
> routinely on Ubuntu (may be I should not :-) ). Can you explain that
> one or just point to some docs on that topic ?

Sudo is not baned on OSX its used as widely as Ubuntu and OS X disables
the root account for the same reasons, you just dont want to run it with
everying , e.g gem install and easy_install should not be used with
sudo, think of it kinda like you should not use sudo with graphical apps
on Ubuntu, totaly diffrent reasons but the idea is the same eg Dont just
blindly use it everywhere. The rest of the email just helps you
"recover" from that process.

Homebrew wiki goes into detail on the subject with the install
instructins, as well as countless articles on developer.apple.com and
macosxforge.com

> If I do what you are suggesting (sudo chown -R $USER:staff
> /Library/Python) then other user on the system might have the same
> problem I do have ... On a laptop - assuming a single user - that
> might be fine even though it seems odd. At least I would expect the
> script to set back the ownership to the former owner i.e. root:wheel.

The *former owner IS the user on initial install of Mac OS X, the
root:wheel ownership is not correct ( for OSX or Homebrew etc ) and
leads to the probems you ran into , again see the Homebrew install wiki

 >>For me the best solution, assuming that sudo is not an option, might
be to install >>the software under my $HOME directory but I am not sure
thiswould be easy.

if you just want to bypass things and not use pacakage management, juju
is just like any other python program out there and will work just fine
if you download it and then run "python setup.py install" from the
unpacked tarbal as I noted in the first email.

Then there is no need for anything else like Homebrew, but you will also
need to download and compile Apache Zookeeper, zkpython, txaws and any
of the other dependacys before hand.

The reason for using Homebrew and doing it the recomended way is so
updates and dependancy management is handeled for you. So I cant
recomend doing it that way but its certainly possible and may seem like
the "easy" way now, until a problem arrises :)

Brandon