Juju and HP Cloud Beta

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 27 15:35:58 UTC 2012

Excerpts from James Page's message of Tue Mar 27 00:58:51 -0700 2012:

> Hi Marco
>
> On 26/03/12 17:09, Marco Ceppi wrote:
> > I've been trying to connect to the HP Cloud Beta with Juju and
> > keep getting a 401 error from Twisted. Has anyone been able to do
> > this yet? Here's my environment stanza stripped of sensitive
> > information and the verbose error from Twisted
> >
> > hp-beta: type: ec2 default-instance-type: standard.xsmall
> > access-key: --- secret-key: --- ec2-uri:
> > https://az-1.region-a.geo-1.ec2-compute.hpcloudsvc.com/services/Cloud
> >

> s3-uri:
> > https://region-a.geo-1.objects.hpcloudsvc.com/v1.0/65675550201144
> > default-image-id: ami-000004da control-bucket: juju-hp-test
> > admin-secret: --- default-series: oneiric juju-origin: ppa
> >
> > The error is in the following pastebin link:
> > http://paste.ubuntu.com/900677/
>
> I don't think that the HP Cloud Beta supports the s3 API - so I would
> suspect that the s3-uri is not working which is why you get this issue.
>
> I guess you might still be able to use Amazon S3 with the HP Cloud
> compute resources - I think juju's usage is pretty light.

This won't work without changes to juju. It uses txaws's AWSServiceRegion
to represent "AWS" as a whole, which sets the ec2 and s3 endpoints to
connect to. Even though the uri's can be set individually, the auth
keys cannot. A simple change would be to allow different auth credentials
to be specified for s3.

We've seen a number of problems with non Amazon providers of the EC2 api
that do not really support S3. I wonder if a simple solution would be to
include an optional WEBDAV service on node 0 to host charms and the seed
data, sort of borrowing from the method used by orchestra and the local
provider.

Another option is to decouple machine providers from object storage
providers.