warning: environments.yaml schema change

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 20 15:35:10 UTC 2012

Excerpts from William Reade's message of Tue Mar 20 03:21:57 -0700 2012:
> Hi all
>
> Basic support for EC2 machine constraints will be landing in trunk very
> shortly. This includes a change to the environments.yaml schema: the
> default-image-id and default-instance-type keys are no longer valid (as
> discussed here shortly before Christmas 2011).
>
> In exchange for this, it will become much easier to specify instance
> types per-service:

William, I really appreciate how much better this has become.

However, I don't think we can keep breaking peoples' existing installs
anymore.  There has to be some kind of stability, or we'll chase beta
testers and early adopters away.

The agreement to drop those keys was also an agreement to ship all the
features in 12.04's juju by February 16. That would allow beta1 users
to keep using the same configs/settings through to the release. But we
are severly past that, and approaching beta2. Changing environments.yaml
means digging out all the old blog posts, askubuntu questions, and basic
documentation, and making sure we annotate them that "btw, this doesn't
work anymore".

Can I suggest that instead of making these keys invalid, that they are
marked as deprecated, and we simply warn users about that?

So if I have one of them, I'd expect something like this on any juju
command:

2012-03-20 08:32:00,123 WARNING default-image-id is deprecated. Use --constraints instead.

And then keep the old behavior at least until after we ship a version
of juju in the 12.04 release of Ubuntu?