cloud images and lxc

Scott Moser scott.moser at canonical.com
Tue Mar 20 15:06:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> per bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/915520
> "local provider should use cloud images"

For what its worth, there is now:
   lxc-create -t ubuntu-cloud
which should do most of your work for you.

You can pass '--userdata' to get your juju cloud-init user data run.

This will only work for precise and oneiric systems, but I think thats
probably enough for you.

> i was looking around for what we could do to solve the package selection gap
> between the minimal lxc containers we get by default and the cloud-images we use
> in other providers. We've had discussions before about just using the cloud-images
> on lxc, but its clear we don't have the availability to make that happen for
> 12.04. As an easy to implement alternative i've been thinking we could just
> install the package set when we customize the 'template' container that we clone
> for units via
>
> sudo apt-get install tasksel && tasksel --task-packages cloud-image | xargs sudo
> apt-get install

sudo apt-get install cloud-image^

That is the task cloud-image.  (The '^' makes it a task, and then you dont
need tasksel).

Personally, I'd rather you use the images, the lxc-create uses a tarball
download.