New EC2 instance types

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Mar 9 00:48:58 UTC 2012

On 9 March 2012 07:29, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> With the big push for sub-second latency in web services, I think the
> syscall latency is enough of a selling point for me to consider it a
> big win for almost any workload that you might want to run on an m1.small.

That is indeed an interesting paper.

Just to be a bit pedantic, their measurement of syscall latency showed
that 32-bit apps on a 64-bit kernel are slower than 64-bit apps on a
64-bit kernel.  But, that's not the same choice you would have when
deploying to EC2.  If you use a 32-bit instance you will have a 32-bit
kernel.  (But, it probably is still better.)

--
Martin