instance-state and state in status

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Wed Mar 7 06:05:47 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Gustavo Niemeyer's message of 2012-03-06 21:44:10 -0500:
> I was just having a look at the output of juju status, and the
> relation between state and instance-state is feeling a bit awkward:
>
> machines:
>   0:
>     dns-name: ec2-174-129-60-194.compute-1.amazonaws.com
>     instance-id: i-d7e63cb3
>     instance-state: running
>     state: not-started
>
> This is on a working environment. We have machine "0" in a running
> instance-state, yet in a not-started state, which is.. hmm.. weird.
>
> William, Kapil, do you recall what's the background for the new field?
>  It sounds like the flag is about the machine agent, which still makes
> the above output a bit confusing unless you understand the depth of
> how juju works. Maybe the field should be named "machine-agent"
> instead of "state"?

As i recall it was a feature request from orchestra usage, to get better
visibility into the instance state distinct from the agent to have better
introspection into initial setup or orchestra problems. Its useful
information/feedback imo, if its confusing we can restrict its display to
verbose flag usage or change the keys.

cheers,

Kapil