Proposed API change: Enhanced support for working with relations

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Mon Mar 5 16:01:49 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Jim Baker's message of 2012-02-29 16:49:14 -0500:
> I would appreciate any comments on this proposed API change. Please
> note, this specification can be reviewed here:
> https://codereview.appspot.com/5714043/
> <https://codereview.appspot.com/5714043/>
>

> Enhanced support for working with relations
>
> Overview
> --------
>
> Relations are a core aspect of Juju. Thus working with relations in a
> more flexible fashion is a topic seen in a number of bugs, mailing
> list discussions, and IRC chats. This proposal pulls together a number
> of enhancements, backed by use cases from bug reports, to enhance
> Juju's current relation support:
>
>  * Support relation id and in general enhance the ability to refer to
>    relations.
>
>  * Enable `relation-get`, `relation-set`, `relation-list` to work in
>    any hook for any relation.
>
>  * Add `juju do` command for out of band execution of hook commands.
>
>  * Enhance the output of `juju status` with additional relation
>    information, which also fixes a bug related to more complex
>    relationships where the same relation name is used more than once.

Hi folks,

i think there was some misunderstanding of the features nesc. here for 12.04,
the spec is currently undergoing some revision to incorporate a more refined
scope that's targeting the single primary goal of allowing relations to be
inspected and modified from other hooks. ie. allowing a mysql upgrade to modify
its client database relations, or allowing a wordpress db connection to modify
its load balancer relation.

cheers,

Kapil