Proposed API Change - Get default repo/namespace from environment variable.

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 28 08:42:29 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

While working on automating tests with juju, its become clear that some of
the stuff suggested in the test runner part of the spec an be very easily
done in Juju core with a small enhancement to the command line tools.

Basically, I'd like deploy and upgrade-charm to take a default repository
and charm namespace from an environment variable.

This allows us to not have to wrap juju in so intrusive a way. We can
just run the test script with special environment variables. So:

export JUJU_REPOSITORY=/path/to/testing/repo
export JUJU_CHARM_NAMESPACE=local
juju deploy mysql

Will deploy from the local repo, whereas running the same test without
the special env will install from the charm store.

I've proposed two merges to accomplish this:

https://code.launchpad.net/~clint-fewbar/juju/repo-from-env/+merge/94477

https://code.launchpad.net/~clint-fewbar/juju/namespace-from-env/+merge/94479

One side note, I didn't find a good place to document these environment
variables.  Perhaps we can resurrect the man page, or find a place in
docs/source for it.