Juju feedback from the Launchpad Yellow Squad

Benji York benji.york at canonical.com
Thu Feb 16 17:06:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Gustavo Niemeyer
<gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com> wrote:
>> Right, upgrade-charm requires a service name for a reason.. you are
>> explicitly asking for that service to have the newest version of the
>> charm.
>>
>> Deploy creates services.. and whats *VERY* confusing, is that this
>> command does not in fact deploy the charm on disk, it deploys the latest
>> one that juju has been told about explicitly.
>
> So, to solve this part of the problem, I propose we introduce a
> -u/--upgrade flag to the deploy command that will cause juju to look
> at the latest version of the charm and upload it into the environment,
> before deploying. This means the two command lines will look like:
>
>    juju deploy -u adhoc:mongodb
>    juju deploy -u --repository ~/charms adhoc:mongodb

>From the perspective of a mere charm developer, the -u switch sounds
great.  It will be there when we're iterating and people can elide it
when it's not the right thing to do.

Also, from my perspective: "local" seems more suggestive of what's going
on than "adhoc".  Of course, that may mean that I don't actually
understand what's going on. ;)
--
Benji York