Notes on using OpenStack with Juju

Thomas Leonard tal at it-innovation.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 14:45:57 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-23 16:38, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We decided to set up an OpenStack system on a hosted machine to run Juju
> services. I'm new to OpenStack and found it fairly difficult/confusing. I'm
> sending a (slightly sanitised) version of the notes I made during the
> process in case it's useful for others or inspires someone to make it easier
> in future...
[...]
> Swift
[...]
> The provider must be "openstack_s3", not "openstack". Otherwise, it fails to download the metadata
> (Authentication failure).

I'd like to find out what's causing this. Could someone explain how it's
supposed to work?

Currently, "juju bootstrap" with the plain "openstack" provider does

cloud_init.set_instance_id_accessor("$(%s %s)" % (
                 curl, filestorage.get_url(id_name),))

which creates a command of the form:

curl -k
https://myhost:8443/v1/AUTH_7ed23fe65dd24434838cef60cff37c75/juju-tal/juju_master_id

This command doesn't work however:

$ curl -k
https://myhost:8443/v1/AUTH_7ed23fe65dd24434838cef60cff37c75/juju-tal/juju_master_id
  <head>
   <title>401 Unauthorized</title>
  </head>
   <h1>401 Unauthorized</h1>
   This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the
document you requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad
password), or your browser does not understand how to supply the credentials
required.<br /><br />
Authentication required

The 7ed23f... bit is simply the (public) project ID, not any kind of access
token. So how is Swift supposed to authorise the request?

Thanks,

--
Dr Thomas Leonard
IT Innovation Centre