Multiple package installs with subordinates?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Mon Dec 3 18:43:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Installed via package manager (whether that be apt, yum, etc),
> Via download from know URL + install,
> Via VCS (git, bzr, etc),
> Via language specific installers: pip, gems, etc.
> And of course the ability to define new installers.

Interestingly, we already support all of these options today, and the
syntax to support all of them is well-known and non-special. It
supports variations at runtime, such as which release of Ubuntu is
being run, or even which distribution, or how the software is
configured etc. There are also issues like upgrades to consider.

This seems like one of these cases where less is more.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net