Charm Store Series and Ubuntu Release

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Aug 28 22:17:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Nobody said we wouldn't test it, just that the LTS version will be left
> untouched unless it needs changes, and that minor improvements will land
> in the LTS, not just in the new dev release.

This seems a bit unrealistic. In practice what will happen is that
people will be working on their preferred release and will think "it's
most certainly working'" in the other N. I think we need a development
focus, whatever it is, where people put their love in. When someone
wants to change a non-focus release, they should pick up the
respective charm and make sure it's working *there*. Otherwise, it
feels somewhat optimistic to even have the non-LTS releases being
supported by charms, when no one is actively using them.

> We can also just do this using bzr push to the other releases after
> tests pass and as long as the branches have not diverged. I just figured
> changing the way we view the repos, instead of hacking them into a shape
> we like, is a simpler task. Perhaps that was misguided though.

The model juju implements matches the problem domain. It was founded
onto the correct assumption that different Ubuntu releases have
different versions of different programs in different sets of
packages. If you're willing to ignore my advice and hack it together,
it's been proven that I can't prevent you to, but I'll at least make
it harder for you to shoot your own foot.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net