Topology and Orchestration Specification for Cloud Applications (TOSCA) and Juju

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Fri Aug 24 19:48:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Johannes Wettinger <mail at jowettinger.de> wrote:
> At the end of the day, the complexity has to be somewhere and cannot
> be avoided if portability is a goal. The only question is where to put

Portability is not such a big deal, and can be introduced in a simple
way that fits the rest of the system. I'll reserve that conversation
for when we start to produce cross-platform content, though.

> it. I definitely like Juju's approach to keep things simple,
> especially the core of a charm, namely its manifest. But imho it
> wouldn't hurt the simplicity of Juju, if some of the complexity can
> *optionally* be transferred to the manifest.yaml. This would be an
> option and wouldn't bring much additional complexity to the manifest
> file.

Saying it's an optional thing doesn't take complexity away. People
have to read the optional things, have to learn about them, and manage
them. There's a good reason why our documentation doesn't include a
700 lines XML schema.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net