How to deploy multiple charms onto a set of VMs

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at
Thu Apr 26 21:20:47 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Haitao Jiang's message of 2012-04-26 17:07:46 -0400:
> Hi,
> I have a question: we wrote a set of charms to deploy services, which
> juju deployed them into different VMs. For each of these VMs, we would
> like to deploy a common monitoring service like Nagios, how to do
> that?
> Do we have to combine Nagios charm with each of our other service
> charms? What is the best practice in this situation?
> Thanks a lot
> Haitao

Subordinate charms address these sort of cross-cutting concerns that apply
across services. Specifically things like environment or org policy (apply
monitoring, ldap pam/nss, etc.).

There's an existing munin-node monitoring subordinate charm that attempts to
tackle this in the context of monitoring.

hope that helps,