HEADSUP: trunk is juju

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Fri Sep 16 14:10:39 UTC 2011

Hello folks,

Please do read all of this. It's important.

The trunk of the project is now juju. Ensemble is no more. All tests,
and I'll start sorting out the new PPA now, which is located at:

    ppa:juju/pkgs

Note, the suffix: *pkgs*, not *ppa*. This is needed because Launchpad
doesn't allow us to reuse the name of the old PPA.

If you're a developer, please do not forget to remove all the .pyc
files or you'll see weird breakage:

    find -name '*.pyc' -exec rm {} \;

If you have branches flying, I apologize for the pain of any
conflicts. I promise it's not my intention to do this again. :-)

Several incompatibilities are being introduced due to the renaming procedure:

- ~/.ensemble is now ~/.juju
- environment.yaml option ensemble-branch is now juju-branch
- ensemble-log command is now juju-log (*)
- upgrade-formula hook is now upgrade-charm (*)
- upgrade-formula command is now upgrade-charm
- Environment variables ENSEMBLE_ are now JUJU_ (*)
- config.yaml "str" option is now "string" (unrelated, but worth
including here) (*)

(*) Formulas will have to be reviewed due to these changes!

We could try to retrofit backwards compatibility depending on how
painful migrating is, but I'd rather not if possible. I'd rather do it
now and have the pain all at once while the project is young and
everyone is aware of the renaming, than down the road when people
forget that it has ever been renamed.

Please let me know if you find further issues or feel very strong
about introducing backwards compatibility issues in those cases.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

-- I never filed a patent.