The push-for-review workflow

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Sep 1 15:22:34 UTC 2011

> Out of interest, why are you creating a bug when submitting every
> branch, rather than creating a branch to address a bug. If it's
> feature work, is the bug just for recording the commit for QA? I have
> done that when planning new features - creating bugs to split the work
> up and then implementing it, but it seems (at least to me) that
> something is wrong if we're creating a bug for every branch that we
> push?

Agreed, there's something suspicious about it depending on how one
looks at the problem. If one looks at the Launchpad bug tracker as
containing _bugs_, then it's clear we're abusing the system.

That said, the way I've learned to look at bug trackers is that they
contains tasks rather than bugs, and that's something that we need
within a project in one form or another.  When we take that view, then
it starts to make more sense to have one bug per branch.. the task
tracker is what enables us to take a wider view and see everything
that is going on in the project, not only now but that is still
pending and that has already been finished.

That kind of stanza enables us to create views like this:

    http://j.mp/ensemble-eureka

> That said, the script looks *very* useful, I'll be looking forward to
> using/modifying it too!

Super! I'll polish it a bit more and publish in an easy-to-consume fashion.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

-- I never filed a patent.