Local/LXC provider

Michael Nelson michael.nelson at canonical.com
Mon Oct 31 22:30:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Kapil Thangavelu
<kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com> wrote:

> Late breaking updates to local provider.
>
> zookeeperd isn't required anymore, libzookeeper-java suffices and saves an extra
> java process.
>
> ppa version needed is revno 388
>
> working config example snippet for a local provider
>
>  laptop:
>    type: local
>    data-dir: /tmp/local-dev
>    admin-secret: b3a5dee4fb8c4fc9a4db04751e5936f4
>    juju-origin: ppa
>    default-series: oneiric
>
> please note, that using /tmp for a data-dir won't survive reboots. the
> environment will need to be destroyed and bootstrap unless a more permanent
> location is chosen.

Wow - that really rocks. I just setup a mysql instance and two
wordpress app servers on my netbook (!) with 5 juju commands
(including bootstrapping).

Just notes for things that went unexpectedly:

1) I wasn't able to bootstrap at first, but then read from an irc log
that I needed to reboot my machine after installing lxc [1]
2) I tried *not* installing zookeeper initially (just
libzookeeper-java) as above, but bootstrap still exited telling me to
install zookeeper
3) After deploying, I'd thought something was wrong because the units
were all state==null for 20mins or so until the lxc was setup (first
time on my netbook). Is it possible to show in the state that it is
being setup rather than state==null?

Thanks for the great work!

[1] http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/10/05/%23juju.html#t02:56