absolute new on juju and would like some info

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Fri Oct 21 19:05:58 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Rob Bosch's message of Fri Oct 21 14:55:31 -0400 2011:
> Hi list,
>
> As this is my first post and I am absolutely new on juju, please bear
> with me for now.
>
> I've been doing some reading the past few days after I stumbled upon
> this project. A lot is already clearer, but I like to get some
> clarification on what juju can and can't do.
>
> For starters iĺl explain where I come from: As a small opensource
> implementer I am busy getting Zentyal to a larger public (and
> customers). Zentyal is a small business server based on ubuntu LTS
> version (currently lucid).
>
> To make good use of a small business server, a manageable client
> environment is important. So now I come to the point I joined this list
> (and for me the 1 million dollar question.. :) )
>
> Is it possible to use juju as a administration tool to deploy clients,
> manage updates and software installs for clients running ubuntu (and
> derivatives)? (*sshhhhhh* Something similar like the microsoft WSUS
> solution. /*sshhhhhh*)
>
> Lack of possibility to centrally administer client pc's is, as far as
> I'm concerned, the biggest problem that prohibits ubuntu desktop use in
> a professional environment.

juju would be a tool to deploy zentyal into a public/private cloud or
datacenter. For software designed to run its entire life on a single machine, it
might be overkill versus just a repackaged image. Its expressly not a goal to
manage desktop/client installations.

Ubuntu does have centralized client management software available in the form
of the landscape system which is commercial and available in both hosted and
standalone editions.

https://landscape.canonical.com/

hth,

Kapil