AWS Load Balancer Use Case

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 20 16:22:51 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Luis Arias's message of Thu Oct 20 07:57:24 -0700 2011:
> Hi,
>
> I have been learning about juju by writing a charm for our
> "maintenance site" service.  When doing an upgrade to our site
> requires downtime, we have a manual procedure which consists in doing
> starting up a maintenance site instance, adding it to the load
> balancer, then cleanly shutting down each production instance and
> removing it from the load balancer.  A similar procedure allows us to
> take the maintenance site instance down and add newly updated
> production instances to the load balancer.  I was wondering what your
> advice would be as to how such a procedure could fit in the juju
> service orchestration model, in particular as regards adding and
> removing instances from the load balancer.

With the current haproxy charm, it would be fairly simple.

I'd assume you'd build your environment something like this

juju deploy myapp
juju add-unit myapp ... (as many as you need)
juju deploy haproxy
juju add-relation myapp haproxy

And then attach elastic IPs to the haproxy node(s) and you're load balancing
your app.

To put up a maintenance site:

juju deploy maintenance-app
juju remove-relation haproxy myapp
juju add-relation haproxy maintenance-app

Then do your work on your site backend, and then

juju remove-relation maintenance-app
juju add-relation myapp

The haproxy charm could probably use some refactoring (its about the third
charm I ever wrote, maybe the 5th charm ever published. ;) so that these
were safer operations (relating two things to haproxy at once results
in a race condition)

But anyway, thats how I would do it.

To address how to relate to ELB/RDS, we need something like a virtual
charm which runs its hooks somewhere, but doesn't actually take up
resources in the juju environment itself, and can return different values
for private-address and public-address when related to. That would be
useful for not only AWS things like ELB and RDS, but also for things
like domain registrar DNS services and other business units within the
same organization.

I think this may be a duplicate but I opened this bug because I know
we've been talking about the concept for a while but haven't actually
done anything about the concept:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/878948