Juju on python 2.6

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 12 15:55:40 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Kapil Thangavelu's message of Wed Oct 12 08:31:49 -0700 2011:
> Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of Mon Oct 10 18:59:20 -0400 2011:
> > In my most recent attempts to get as broad a base of testing as possible,
> > I ran the test suite on Lucid.
> >
> > The fails are here:
> >
> > http://paste.ubuntu.com/705630/
> >
> > Most of these are just simple 2.6 vs. 2.7 minor incompatibilities or a
> > few cases of updated API's being used.
> >
> > Before I expend any energy on this, how interested are we in making
> > sure juju works on Python 2.6? I figure a jenkins slave running the test
> > suite on lucid will find most issues.
> >

> > As a wrap up of other possible targets for juju clients:
> >
> > Ubuntu Lucid:    2.6
> > Ubuntu Maverick: 2.6 default, 2.7 available
> > Ubuntu: Natty+:  2.7
> > Mac OS X Lion:   2.7
> > Fedora 15:       2.7
> > RHEL 6:          2.6
> >

> > My personal feeling is that we should probably make sure the *client*
> > works on lucid, but not worry too much if the whole of the unit tests
> > fail.
> >

> That sounds good, but its not clear how we can determine that's true if
> we're not running tests on those environments. All the developers are running
> the latest and greatest, a test runner on older platforms is are only mechanism
> of regression checking.
>
> So if we want to claim support for lucid as a client (via the ppa) we probably
> should update the tests, and keep running them on py2.6. Else an actual python
> 2.7 syntatic change will go undiscovered and cause breakage.

Right, ignoring the technical issues, which are quite minor, I'm asking
for some direction. As a project, does juju want to claim python 2.7 as
its minimum version of python?

I think given that we are Ubuntu focused, and that Ubuntu still has a
supported LTS with python 2.6, we should make sure we are 2.6 compatible.

I'd be happy to file the bugs and fix the issues remaining on python 2.6,
but I'd like to make sure thats actually important to the project.