Juju on python 2.6

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Wed Oct 12 15:31:49 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of Mon Oct 10 18:59:20 -0400 2011:
> In my most recent attempts to get as broad a base of testing as possible,
> I ran the test suite on Lucid.
>
> The fails are here:
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/705630/
>
> Most of these are just simple 2.6 vs. 2.7 minor incompatibilities or a
> few cases of updated API's being used.
>
> Before I expend any energy on this, how interested are we in making
> sure juju works on Python 2.6? I figure a jenkins slave running the test
> suite on lucid will find most issues.
>

> As a wrap up of other possible targets for juju clients:
>
> Ubuntu Lucid:    2.6
> Ubuntu Maverick: 2.6 default, 2.7 available
> Ubuntu: Natty+:  2.7
> Mac OS X Lion:   2.7
> Fedora 15:       2.7
> RHEL 6:          2.6
>

> My personal feeling is that we should probably make sure the *client*
> works on lucid, but not worry too much if the whole of the unit tests
> fail.

That sounds good, but its not clear how we can determine that's true if
we're not running tests on those environments. All the developers are running
the latest and greatest, a test runner on older platforms is are only mechanism
of regression checking.

So if we want to claim support for lucid as a client (via the ppa) we probably
should update the tests, and keep running them on py2.6. Else an actual python
2.7 syntatic change will go undiscovered and cause breakage.

cheers,

Kapil