Charm maintainership in metadata.yaml?

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 15 16:18:28 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Mark Shuttleworth's message of Mon Nov 14 22:23:24 -0800 2011:
> On 15/11/11 00:52, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> > Distinct but related there's also a need imo for some category tags/trove
> > classifiers in metadata.yaml for presenting a category ui for a charm store.
>
> I'd suggest pure tags rather than a trove/category system, with good
> descriptions and hence good search.

I'd agree. Categories were an early system of trying to bring basic
semantics into web catalogs of things. But realistically, they scale
very poorly. Also I expect that charms will be multi-faceted. CEPH is
useful as a block store, a filesystem, and an object store. At best we
could put it in the "storage" category. Over time the general categories
get fat and the specific ones stay quite lean.

+1 for tags. I like the idea of having *official* tags like launchpad
does. We can even make our static analysis tool flag any non-official
tags as warnings so that we don't get a tag cloud explosion.