basic juju/ec2 questions

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Mon Nov 14 16:09:47 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Mathieu Lonjaret's message of Sat Nov 12 09:46:03 -0500 2011:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie with both juju and amazon and I have a few basic questions.
> At the moment I'm just playing with juju, while following the documentation
> and trying things out.
>
> My first question is, (with the first ec2 configuration example given here
> https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/getting-started.html#configuring-your-environment)
> at
> which point am I starting to use the ec2, and hence, I suppose, paying for
> it? after issueing 'juju bootstrap' or after 'juju deploy ...' ?

Bootstrap spins up an instance for juju's control/data server. Additional
instances are added via juju deploy or juju add-unit.

> Similarly, the tutoral says to issue 'juju destroy-environment' when I'm
> done. But say I'm done for the day and just want to continue the next day
> from where I was; isn't there a way to kindof freeze everything and start
> things back where I left them, instead of having to recreate everything?

Environments don't support suspending at this time. If you want to stop the
charges, you'll need to run destroy-environment which will destroy any deployed
services and their data.

One of the benefits to using something like local provider (lightweight
containers) on your local ubuntu machine, is that you can develop locally
and then deploy to ec2. Some folks even use local provider within a manually
launched ec2 instance.

> Sorry if it sounds silly/naive...

not at all, its a good question, this is probably the closet extant bug to
tracking suspend/restore an environment.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/711610

cheers,

kapil