status output changes

William Reade william.reade at canonical.com
Fri Nov 11 15:02:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 11:31 -0200, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> > 2) Machine state dicts' "state"s will contain the following possible
> > values:
> >
> >  * If a machine agent is connected: "running"
> >  * Elif every assigned unit is "pending": "pending (instance: %s)"
> >  * Else: "down (instance: %s)"
>
> The underlying idea looks sensible, but there's no reason to conflate
> the instance state onto the same field and have people parsing that
> out by hand. We can easily have that information in a different field
> in the yaml.

OK; any good ideas for names? I'll go with "instance" if I don't hear
anything better.

> Also, "pending" feels strange here, since it's providing data about
> the units rather than the machine itself (it's the unit that is
> pending, not the machine).

I intended to express that the machine agent is pending, rather than the
machine itself; "it's not running, but we have no evidence to suggest
that it's *stopped* running, so the charitable interpretation is that it
just hasn't started yet".