Opinionated / sensible / recommended default tools for charms

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 10 22:54:48 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Kapil Thangavelu's message of Thu Nov 10 11:15:42 -0800 2011:
> Excerpts from Adam Gandelman's message of Tue Nov 08 14:37:33 -0500 2011:
> > On 11/08/2011 08:29 AM, Michael Nelson wrote:

> > * WARNING: this ended up much longer than I had anticipated.   *
> >
> > Michael-
> >
> > Cool!  I'm glad there are other people scratching their heads about this
> > one.  I've played around with a few different ways of doing this (mostly
> > exactly like yours) and ran into a couple of concerns.
> >
> > 1. Stuffing puppet manifests into charms and calling them in hooks via
> > 'puppet apply' loses the ability to maintain and share puppet types and
> > resources.  Unless you've set a constraint to only depend on puppet
> > primitives built into puppet-core, you cannot make use of Puppet's
> > shared name space for modules, types and resources(one of the features
> > that makes Puppet so powerful)  For example, lets say I've put together
> > a Puppet class that incorporates other custom types, providers and
> > modules.  When instantiated with a couple of parameters, it propagates a
> > huge chunk of system configuration that would otherwise be a nightmare
> > to deploy using shell scripts.   Now I want to make use of that class
> > from manifests contained within a Juju charm.  There is no way to do
> > that unless I also ship the custom module and all of its custom
> > dependencies within that charm alongside the manifests that called via
> > 'puppet apply'  If I want to use this in multiple juju charms, I need to
> > include the module and its dependencies in every Juju charm that uses
> > it.  This quickly becomes a nightmare to maintain and impossible to
> > avoid divergence.
> >
> > 2. Calling 'puppet apply' at hook execution only enforces that
> > configuration when the relation's state changes. Ie, I've deployed our
> > massive application stack on a Friday and gone on vacation for 2 weeks.
> > On Monday  Jr. SysAdmin deleted the wrong config file on our web
> > server.  With a puppetmaster in place, his mistake is corrected in ~30
> > minutes (or the next time the agent checks into the puppet master).
> > Without, I'd have to remove and re-add Juju relations to resync system
> > configuration with the Juju's view of the world.
>
> I think the juju world view (ie. service level) would be the machine is
> transient, if the service on the unit isn't functional anymore, spin up a new
> unit. That sort of presupposes a monitoring co-location charm and
> notification/event processing trigger against the juju api to allow for
> dynamically responding to the outage event, but that's the road we want to march
> down.

Thats nice if all data stores are self-healing and auto-scaling. But
reality will show us that not everybody will be able to achieve that
level of modern scalability in all aspects of their applications. Whats
probably more likely is that people will be able to have disposable
*compute* units, but that they'll have a db server and some object storage
servers that, while "highly available", are very expensive to replace in
this manner. Taking care of long-lived units needs to be a priority of
juju. I think periodically re-asserting all of the relationships would
achieve this (or at least giving users a command that can do this)

Also I don't think whats being suggested is that the unit is
non-functional, but rather that the unit's configuration is not in sync
with the desired configuration. For instance, maybe the amount of RAM
memcached consumsumes has been adjusted manually by the admin. It
is improving performance, but will be lost when configuration is
re-asserted. In the puppet and chef world, this is relatively constant,
whereas in the juju world, this would only happen when somebody causes
a juju-aware state change, so Jr. Admin who broke things is probably
off the clock and three sheets to the wind before another user makes
a change and the problem regresses.

> > b. Units also get a custom fact that describes their service-unit, to be
> > used for node classification.
> > c. The charm (or, possibly, a colocated puppet-agent charm),
> > authenticates the agent with a central puppet master and runs the puppet
> > agent in a typical polling configuration.
>
> better is the colo puppet-agent charm, else we have charms assuming a puppet
> master.

+1, I eagerly await the time when users can pull in all of the puppet
system policy along side a charm's magic powers.