Opinionated / sensible / recommended default tools for charms

Michael Nelson michael.nelson at canonical.com
Wed Nov 9 12:53:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer
<gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hey Michael, Adam,
>
>> Similar to Clint's point, I was expecting/hoping that things like a
>> puppet apache module would be packaged so that the charm would *make*
>> it available as part of the install hook. That is, an install hook
>> something like:
> (...)
>
> FWIW, this is how I envisioned that kind of integration happening as
> well. This enables this charm to be used within the juju
> infrastructure without any other requirements, and be seen as a
> "first-class citizen" within the juju ecosystem, with encapsulation of
> its configuration preserved. Integrating juju with the puppet master
> is certainly possible, but it's breaking down some of the reasons why
> we've developed juju in the first place.

Yeah, in the example I gave of using the puppet master, it's only as a
distribution mechanism for private configuration details - the same
could be done simply by specifying an optional bzr configuration
branch in the charms local.cfg (and default to the dev configs). Given
the points made by Clint (of refreshing relationships), I don't yet
see an advantage that a puppet master configuration would provide here
(but BIG disclaimer there, I'm just learning about puppet now - I'm
assuming the advantage would be for the IS team who may already be
using a puppet master to distribute files as per the example).

> --
> Gustavo Niemeyer
> http://niemeyer.net
> http://niemeyer.net/plus