New to Juju, have some questions

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Nov 8 10:14:03 UTC 2011

Hey Nolan,

> Hi folks. I'm new to Juju and am wanting a bit of feedback as to whether it
> will meet our needs. I'm currently struggling with the documentation, so if
> these questions are answered there and I missed them then please point me
> there. :)

Some of them probably are, but we'll be happy to help you interactively as well.

(...)
> here's our web server, etc." It looks like Juju enables this. At least, the
> examples show spinning up a WordPress instance, MySQL, then linking them
> together.

That's right.

> The FAQ seems to intonate that only one service per machine is supported. Is
> that still true? That would seem like overkill in the case of something like
> WordPress.

It's certainly overkill, and it's still one of the limitations we have
today in the implementation itself.  That said, it's a well known
limitation we'll definitely address, and the service description
themselves won't have to change for us to fix that. It was just a
reasonable way for us to get going quickly.

> Does Juju support virtualization? Or does it require that services be
> installed to the root filesystems of each machine? IOW, if I spin up a MySQL
(...)

There's a local development mode that enables you to spin all of the
services in LXC containers, for development, testing, and debugging
purposes. Remotely, juju requires an existing machine provider
(OpenStack, EC2, Orchestra, etc) to function. OpenStack itself
supports deploying on VMs as you suggest, so you can marry both for a
happy ending. :-)

(...)
> just don't know if "expose" handles that, or if I am then required to keep a
> bunch of local IP mappings updated.

No, juju actually solves that problem very elegantly, with the concept
of relations. Check out the documentation and the tutorial [1] online
to get an idea of how to make use of them in detail, and please let us
know if you need help.

[1] https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/user-tutorial.html

--
Gustavo Niemeyer