Juju service provider for XCP

Mike McClurg mike.mcclurg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 18:48:11 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm interested in creating a new service provider for Juju, and I was
hoping someone could give me some pointers. First, a little background
info:

I'm the project lead for XCP [1], which is an open source
virtulization platform based on the Xen hypervisor. XCP is the open
source version of Citrix's XenServer platform. We're currently working
on project [2][3] to port the XCP from CentOS to Ubuntu Server. This
will basically let you do 'apt-get install xcp', and have a system
that is functionally equivalent to a Citrix XenServer.

In the process of porting our software to Ubuntu, we've discovered
Juju. We on the XCP team think it would be really great to provide a
Juju service provider for XCP and XenServer. For comparison purposes,
this kind of service provider would be similar to the OpenStack
service provider, except that an OpenStack installation could
potentially provide a few orders of magnitude more infrastructure than
a pool of XCP hosts would.

So, what does it take to create a new service provider for Juju? Is an
XCP/XenServer service provider something that the Juju community is
interested in? Thanks for the help!

Mike

[1] http://xen.org/products/cloudxen.html
[2] http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XAPI_on_Ubuntu