Opinionated / sensible / recommended default tools for charms

Mark Mims mark.mims at canonical.com
Wed Nov 2 06:46:43 UTC 2011

On 11/01/2011 10:29 AM, Michael Nelson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A few months ago I wrote a formula/charm for a personal project (just
> a first attempt at deploying a django + psql app [1] based on a rails
> formula that I found), but there were quite a few points in my hooks
> where I saw that there must be better ways/tools to use for what the
> hook was doing. I think it's great that hooks can be written with any
> tool - but I'm wondering if there are any docs/recommendations for
> doing standard tasks such as setting config files or enabling
> configuration options for a charm.
Awesome!
Standard practices are still evolving.  Are you at UDS?  We've got a
session that should include this topic.  The blueprint is
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-juju-charm-docs

> I'm currently looking at
> experimenting with a project at work, and so wanted to check for the
> following specific situations:
>
> Getting the instance in a certain state
> ===============================
> Currently my install hook does:
> {{{
> ensemble-log "Installing required packages via apt-get."
> apt-get -y install apache2 libapache2-mod-wsgi bzr fabric ....
> }}}
> ... (then later in my db-relation-changed hook)
> {{{
> ensemble-log "Setting up the wsgi alias."
> echo 'Alias /site_media/
> /opt/open-goal-tracker/current/media-root-dev/\nWSGIScriptAlias /
> /opt/open-goal-tracker/current/ogt_project/apache/django.wsgi'>>
> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
> }}}
>
> It looks like the kind of stuff for which puppet is made. Has anybody
> written charms using serverless puppet for this (or even, in a way
> that it can work serverless, but will use a puppet master if one is
> defined/set [2]).
>
> Writing config files from templates
> ============================
> Currently my db-relation-changed hook also does:
>
> {{{
> ensemble-log "Updating local_settings.py."
> cd /opt/open-goal-tracker/current/ogt_project
> sed -e "s/DATABASE_USER/$user/" \
> -e "s/DATABASE_PASSWORD/$password/" \
> -e "s/DATABASE_HOST/$host/" \
> -e "s/DATABASE_NAME/$database/" \
> $hooksdir/local_settings-template.py>  local_settings.py
> chown www-data local_settings.py
> }}}
>
> Again, this seems like something for which puppet already has tools
> [3]. Of course there are many tools to solve this problem (sed
> included), but if an example used puppet to get the machine into a
> certain state with packages, it may make sense to continue along those
> lines (especially if your IS group is using puppet already :) ).
various templating tools are used in charms... I've seen cheetah, augeas
lenses, erb... but no standard.

We should definitely take an opinionated approach in the docs/examples
just for simplicity.  We can always add the disclaimer at the bottom
"but you can swap out for the tool you want."  Always a tough line to
walk, showcase flexibility -vs- just help me get it done.

> Setting the IP address
> ==================
> Currently my db-relation-changed hook it does (again, copied from
> another formula):
> IP=`ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 |
> awk '{print $1}'|head -n 1`
> ensemble-log "setting ip to $IP"
> relation-set ip=$IP
totally revamped...
I can get my address,
     unit-get private-address
and a related service's address
     relation-get private-address
for free now everywhere.

> Enabling a configurable charm
> =========================
>
> Ideally, I'd like to write a `django-pg` charm which can be re-used by
> various projects (by passing in a particular code and config branch),
> rather than a specific charm for a specific application - if possible.
> I'm not sure if that's what the service configuration draft is
> intended [4].
>
> Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations, or can point me at a good
> example of a charm that sets a good example for me to follow, I'd love
> to hear from you - but I'll continue on in the mean-time.
> Thanks,
> -Michael
We've got a couple of node.js (lp:charm/node-app) and rails charms that
try to accomplish the same thing (the charm pulls the app code from a
branch specified in config.yaml).

These charms need to be updated to reflect the latest juju trunk, but it
sounds similar to what you're wanting to do.

I'd love to discuss these "framework" or application "wrapper" charms in
person in orlando or on #juju if you've got the time.

--
Mark Mims, Ph.D.
Canonical Ltd.
mark.mims at canonical.com