Creating the principia distribution

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Fri May 20 22:51:38 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Francis J. Lacoste's message of Fri May 20 12:13:54 -0700 2011:
> Hi folks,
>
> Last week at UDS, we discussed using a Launchpad distribution to track
> development (branches and bugs) of Ensemble formulas.
>
> Instead of putting everything in the principia project, sourcepackage in that
> context would be a formula. That allows per formula bug and branches, while
> maintaining the relationship amonst them in the "Principa" distribution.
>
> Using distributions in that way will raise some bugs in Launchpad. We will
> iron out the experience as we find them.
>
> Off the start, we already know about two important ones:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/386596 - this is the one
> about creating source package names which act as components in the
> bugtracker.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/781993 - this is about
> making it possible to file bugs even though soyuz isn't being used.
>
> There is a work-around for the first one (upload an empty package to a PPA
> with the wanted sourcepackage name). And since most of the existing formulas
> reuse the name of the Ubuntu package (haproxy, mediawiki, etc.), the impact of
> the second one is also limited currently.
>
> Nonetheless, these two bugs were escalated and will be taken care of by our
> maintenance squads shortly.
>
> So unless there are objections, I'd like to rename the existing principia
> project to principa-old and deactivate it. I would create a new distribution
> called 'principia' (with the same owner). We should then upload branches for
> the existing formulas.
>
> Objections, comments?

This all sounds great. Can I ask that the current project be renamed
to 'principia-tools', and kept alive, instead?  There are a number of
little things in there that I need a place for. I'll go ahead and drop
the formulas directory once the distro is setup and all the branches
are moved over. I fully expect at some point that these tools will be
part of ensemble itself, but right now they're just hacks that aren't
really appropriate and will likely be made obsolete by the repository
management stuff that is planned.

If its not possible to keep it alive, thats fine too, just let me know
so I can import the bzr tree and start the new project.