Commit messages on trunk

Bjorn Tillenius bjorn at canonical.com
Wed Mar 16 08:31:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:38:45PM -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Greetings developers (and potential candidates),
>
> After a quick inspection in our current history for the trunk branch:
>
>     http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ensemble/ensemble/trunk/changes
>
> It seems that one healthy practice regarding commit messages that we
> used to have has been a bit lost in time, and it would be nice to have
> it back.
>
> Specifically, commit messages to trunk should follow a specific format
> which inform: the branch merged, the reviewer, the bug number, and a
> user oriented explanation of what the branch benefit is.  This is
> important because it gives a nice history not only for ourselves, but
> also for users which are watching and trying to make sense of how the
> project is evolving.
>
> Here is an example, from the development guideline:
>
>     Merged hidden-tetris [r=jkakar,radix] [f=73462].
>
>     It is now possible for users named Bob to play a javascript version of
>     Tetris by clicking on a pixel in the upper-right corner.

You might want to check out the ls-merge bzr command I added to
the lp:landscape-review plugin. It allows you to say (while standing in
the trunk branch) "bzr ls-merge <branch-to-merge>", and it will
automatically create such a message using the branch's merge proposal.
I.e. it will look for any bugs linked to the branch as well as who
reviewed the changes. It will also pre-fill the rest of the commit
message with the merge proposal's description, so you only have to write
what the branch does once. If you're interested in using it, I could
extract that command into a more general (not Landscape-specific) plugin
and give it a better name.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt