Principia and formulas that use software from outside of Ubuntu

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 14 23:53:08 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Gustavo Niemeyer's message of Tue Jun 14 10:22:11 -0700 2011:
> > Thats mitigated if we have the "default" namespaces trusted, allowed to
> > be deployed when something needs them, but the namespaces that are simply
> > "known" and not "trusted" wouldn't be considered for automatic resolution
>
> There are still a few issues with that, but most fundamentally, I
> think this is mimicking a model that is not ideal.  There's no reason
> for us to have that "add repo" step.

Sure, the default can be to find namespaces that exist as pfa's and such
by default. This doesn't preclude being able to configure certain ones as
trusted to enable auto-resolution.

> If you know you want Mark's formula, you should be able to simply say
> so in the command line, during the deploy command, and get to it.
> After that, you shouldn't automatically get things off from Mark's
> namespace unless you state so again; except for upgrades, which do
> need to be looked on Mark's domain until you explicitly state that's
> not what you want anymore.  Mark is right in that auto-resolution of
> dependencies makes this more colorful, and that's why we'll only work
> on the infrastructure for auto-dependency once we have the skeleton of
> the repo working, so that we can evolve both together.
>
> > Something like this:
> >
> > /etc/ensemble/namespaces.yaml
>
> One additional problem here is that you shouldn't see different
> formulas/namespaces depending on what machine you're hacking on.

There will be plenty of private, firewalled usage of Ensemble, and it
won't be able to access launchpad or anything. If we're right about
the private cloud, that will be a huge win for Ensemble. There has
to be a config file or something that will let people point at their
local repository mirror/proxy/etc. I imagine the repository will be
quite useful.. we don't want people to lose that and be tied to a flat
namespace just because they are locked away from us.