Principia and formulas that use software from outside of Ubuntu

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Jun 14 17:22:11 UTC 2011

> Thats mitigated if we have the "default" namespaces trusted, allowed to
> be deployed when something needs them, but the namespaces that are simply
> "known" and not "trusted" wouldn't be considered for automatic resolution

There are still a few issues with that, but most fundamentally, I
think this is mimicking a model that is not ideal.  There's no reason
for us to have that "add repo" step.

If you know you want Mark's formula, you should be able to simply say
so in the command line, during the deploy command, and get to it.
After that, you shouldn't automatically get things off from Mark's
namespace unless you state so again; except for upgrades, which do
need to be looked on Mark's domain until you explicitly state that's
not what you want anymore.  Mark is right in that auto-resolution of
dependencies makes this more colorful, and that's why we'll only work
on the infrastructure for auto-dependency once we have the skeleton of
the repo working, so that we can evolve both together.

> Something like this:
>
> /etc/ensemble/namespaces.yaml

One additional problem here is that you shouldn't see different
formulas/namespaces depending on what machine you're hacking on.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net