Principia and formulas that use software from outside of Ubuntu

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Mon Jun 13 18:06:43 UTC 2011

> My understanding is
> ensemble upgrade -> upgrades formula code .. no one has a problem with this

No, that's "ensemble upgrade-formula".  "ensemble upgrade" is about
upgrading the software itself.  Or, at least that's how we've been
referring to those issues.  This isn't settled in stone, but there are
two different problems here, and we have to handle them both.

> Clint would like to depend on apt-get for applying those updates, I would
> like to depend on "drush upc" which the upstream way of doing that. I'd like

Both approaches are "correct" as far as Ensemble is concerned, and
they'll both be supported.  Clint's approach is the only one supported
on official formulas.

More clearly: if you want a formula to be officially blessed as part
of _Ubuntu_, the software it manages must be part of Ubuntu.  For a
personal/company formula, anything is ok.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net