Ensemble and configuration

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Fri Jun 10 15:13:33 UTC 2011

Hello Shawn,

It's interesting that every once in a while we are in touch.  I recall
talking to some of the developers of RPath back in the days I worked
on RPM and APT-RPM.  More than half a decade later, and we have moved
up the stack.  Good to be in touch again.

> Hi folks, I work on product management and strategy here at rPath.  We
> are committed to adding model-driven orchestration to our system
> management offering, and would love to find a compatible open-source
> project to contribute to rather than build something new, so I've been
> looking at Ensemble after hearing about it from Ben Saller.

That's great news, and thanks for reaching out.  I hope we can find
ways to collaborate around the project.

(...)
> 1. Does it/will it require one instance of the ensemble manager VM per

>   environment?  If I'm managing many environments (such as at an
>   ASP/SaaS vendor with many instances of a single-tenant app), I'd
>   expect one manager to handle multiple environments.

Yes, we'll require an ensemble manager per environment, but there
might be a couple of interesting points around this to clarify:

First, it won't need its own VM.  We'll certainly have single-machine
deployments, for instance, and that means the manager has to be
lightweight. The current per-VM approach was just a quick way for us
to get going, but there are no technical walls that enforce that model
in the system.

Then, and perhaps that's the most interesting point for your case, you
can have several deployments of the same single-tenant app on the same
environment.  You can even have several disconnected network graphs
within the same deployment, with overlapping formulas (potentially
partially overlapping).

> 2. For the wordpress+mysql example in the doc, you start up each
>   service independently, then add the relation.  Before you add the
>   relation, w hat logical state is the wordpress service in -- is it
>   something like "can't really start yet because I don't have a DB?"

Yes, that's right.  Ultimately, it's up to the formula author to
decide what's the appropriate time to bring up the formula.
Internally, Ensemble recognizes and leaves the service unit (the
formula deployment) aware that the relation hasn't been established.
The desired behavior on this case is really application-based, though.
 A web-server could politely come up online and let the user know that
the setup is still going on, for instance, or even that it's an
unplanned down time (the database might have gone away for whatever
reason).

> 3. Looks like formulas are models for individual services, and
>   formulas can refer to others as provides/requires, but there isn't
>   an enclosing model for a multi-service application.  I expected to
>   see some sort of overarching composition model for (say) a full
>   wordpress deployment, where that model refers to the mysql service
>   and the wordpress service.  Is that something planned, or seen as
>   unnecessary?

That's very much necessary, and we believe we have a good plan for
them.  We don't yet have documentation available, but you'll see us
talking about these as "stacks".

Also note that, in this specific example, we'll have something else
too: automatic dependency resolution.  We're postponing that feature
only because we want to develop it in light of the remote formula
repository mechanism working, so that we consider the full problem of
non-universal knowledge while designing the algorithm.

> 4. In the example, wordpress/0 didn't automatically become related to
>   mysql/0, but wordpress/1 did.  Why did those two behave
>   differently?

We'd have to investigate what happened, but your assumption is correct
about what should happen.  All the service units within a deployed
service must respect the same relations, whether you deploy the
service unit before the relation was established, or afterwards.

> 5. Are the project developers OK making it widely cross-platform over
>   time (for not only other Linuxes, but also Windows)?

We're certainly not against the idea of porting it to other platforms,
and actually I don't think today we have any hard dependencies on
Ubuntu.  That said, our focus is naturally on providing users a very
smooth experience on Ubuntu.  Those things don't have to conflict,
though.

> 6. You have a draft concept of config properties for services, which I
>   really like.  Right now it is for what I call "write only" config
>   -- the sysadmin specifies property values that get passed down to
>   hooks for implementation.  (rPath config is similar today.)  I'd

I don't think that's accurate. See below.

>   like to see "read/write" config properties, plus config
>   dependencies, that would let you solve this point problem:
>
>     * Each application constellation needs an app server and a DB
>       server.
>
>     * The app server needs a JDBC string for the corresponding DB.
>
>     * The DB gets its IP from DHCP.
>
>     * How do I automatically configure each app+DB combo correctly?

I'm not sure I understand what the problem you see in that scenario
is.  This sounds like a trivial relation:

myapp requires an interface jdbc named db
mydb provides an interface jdbc named app

mydb has an app-relation-joined hook with:

    relation-set JDBCAddr=$ADDR

myapp has a db-relation-changed hook with:

    ADDR=$(relation-get JDBCAddr)

Is that all you need, or are you seeing an additional issue that I miss?

> We're leaning toward building something like that, but of course would
> rather see it within an existing open-source project if possible.

It looks like we already cover it, and we are open to collaboration for sure.

Thanks again for getting in touch, Shawn.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net