Announcing Ubuntu Ensemble, mediawiki community feedback requested

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 21:51:37 UTC 2011

Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Thanks for contacting with us, Ahmed.

> This is Ahmed, I work for Ubuntu helping the cloud community. Ubuntu has
> been working on some hot technology, that aims to be "apt-get for the
> cloud"! Basically Install and manage large scale cloud deployments of
> web applications (and others) with the equivalent ease of "apt-get
> install". The reason I'm posting this here, is because the very first
> use-case for this technology (called Ensemble) has been MediaWiki (yaay)!
>
> To get a feel for Ensemble, here is how you'd deploy a 4 machine
> Mediawiki installation
> DB ->  MediaWiki ->   memcached ->  HAproxy Loadbalancer
> ----->8---------
> # Deploy machines
> ensemble deploy mysql wiki-db
> ensemble deploy mediawiki demo-wiki
> ensemble deploy memcached wiki-cache
> ensemble deploy haproxy wiki-balancer
> # Connect them together!
> ensemble add-relation wiki-db demo-wiki:db
> ensemble add-relation wiki-cache demo-wiki
> ensemble add-relation wiki-balancer:reverseproxy demo-wiki:website
> ----->8---------
> Slashdotted? Want to scale out? You'd need something like
> ensemble add-unit wiki-cache
> ensemble add-unit demo-wiki
>
> Yes, it's that easy!

Well, you still need to know that you need 4 machines and what is each
of them.
I first got confused thinking that they were packages on a single machine.
So, when you add a second demo-wiki, how is the second mediawiki
configured? A simple copy ? How are further changes synced?

What about optional packages? If you are installing for a large scale
cloud deployment of mediawiki you probably also want php-apc, or
wikidiff2 extension.

I see you are creating your own LocalSettings.php, but the way you are
installing it is really ugly. I advance you that it will break in the
new installer of MediaWiki 1.17 You will have an install.php cli script
there, though.
(i have to admit, it is really the fault of ubuntu package that it
doesn't create the database or thatit leaves the tables broken on  update)

I recommend you to plan and test with 1.17 and tell us if you need some
additional feature. It still could enter in the release, if it's simple
enough.
http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/branches/REL1_17/phase3/

Cheers