Sprint Feedback

Mark Shuttleworth mark.shuttleworth at canonical.com
Tue Jun 7 16:14:24 UTC 2011

On 07/06/11 14:31, Tom Haddon wrote:
> Sure, we're all abstracting things out and trusting other people with
> certain parts of the system. I'm not writing all the code that runs on
> my system, I'm using packaged code, etc., but that doesn't mean you
> still don't have visibility on the changes being made or having control
> over what changes you're comfortable with. For instance, managing /etc
> in bzr allows you to see any configuration changes made by either a
> package install or a changed kernel setting, or whatever.

I think the hardest case is partially-managed environments, and Puppet
is essentially that. Puppet is NOT in total control of the system, you
are, puppet is helping you exercise that control.

Part of the leap to intelligent workloads is that one will stop feeling
like you NEED to see exactly what's in the config. The ensemble state
(stored in ZooKeeper) is all you need to map. Of course, we're a long
way from that, and there are probably going to be places where we want
to use Ensemble in more controlled environments (like the current
discussions about Orchestra using Ensemble). But in future, I really
don't think you're going to want to see the config files, unless you are
debugging the formula. You're going to want to be able to dump and
recreate state at the Ensemble level, not much lower than that.

Mark