Sprint Feedback

Tom Haddon tom.haddon at canonical.com
Tue Jun 7 08:57:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 11:45 -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> > I've just come back from a Sprint for a subset of the sysadmins at
> > Canonical who are responsible for deploying and managing some of the
> > services that Canonical runs (Landscape, Launchpad, Ubuntu One, etc.)
>
> Thanks a lot for this feedback Tom.
>
> > == Things we like about Puppet ==
> >
> > - Declarative state. This makes it easier to manage services over the
> > longer term, because you can be assured that systems are configured the
> > way you've told them to be configured.
>
> Ensemble is really an orchestration framework, and it doesn't really
> enforce on you a particular way to configure the formula environment.
> If you like Puppet for that, you can even use it in standalone mode to
> enforce the configuration Ensemble provides.
>
> > == Things we don't like about Ensemble ==
> >
> > - Ensemble seems to currently require a cloud infrastructure (EC2/S3
> > specifically) to run. Are there plans in the future to allow Ensemble to
> > run on bare metal? Our usage of EC2 has been limited for a number of
>
> Yes, there are plans for that, and isn't too hard even.  We just need
> to take some on our roadmap to do it.

Great.

> > - Doesn't seem to be a way to maintain state across the servers that
> > Ensemble is managing.
>
> Ensemble manages communication across the services using relations, in
> a pretty comfortable way, so I'm not sure I get what you mean by that.

I guess I'm meaning in a more comprehensive way in terms of managing the
state of the servers as a whole rather than the specific service we're
talking about. Since Ensemble seems to work in terms of executing
scripts, this means you know that certain scripts have been run, but you
don't know the end state that that's achieved in terms of configuration
files on disk, for example.

> > - Can't preview changes before they happen to determine if they will do
> > what you want them to do. Can't test out new versions of different
> > formulas with different "environments".
>
> We have to think a bit more around this.  Part of that is actually on
> purpose, since we want formulas to have freedom to implement things in
> different ways, so you're effectively a user of an encapsulated
> service.  We have to think a bit more about how to provide the
> visibility you want without compromising on that aspect of the system.

Ok, this would be kind of crucial to us (and I'm sure others too). Being
able to preview changes and confirming they'll do what you expect is key
to being happy with making changes on production systems.

> > == Some other comments based on the example formulas ==
> >
> > - The "utility instance" seems to be a single point of failure. If this
> > goes down do we lose access to everything?
>
> Only in the current incarnation.  ZooKeeper can very easily have
> multiple units in a resilient cluster.  We just need to take the time
> to put it in place.

Great.