Sprint Feedback

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 2 19:48:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Tom Haddon <tom.haddon at canonical.com> wrote:
> == Things we don't like about Ensemble ==
>
> - Ensemble seems to currently require a cloud infrastructure (EC2/S3
> specifically) to run. Are there plans in the future to allow Ensemble to
> run on bare metal? Our usage of EC2 has been limited for a number of
> reasons, including cost and performance. If the plan was to only ever
> have Ensemble work on EC2, that'd make it hard to adopt it for our
> services.

"Bare metal" is precisely the intersection point of the Ubuntu
Orchestra project (http://pad.lv/p/orchestra), and Ensemble.

We're rapidly evolving Ubuntu Orchestra in the Oneiric archive right
now (and will be introducing it properly and publicly very soon).  But
for the sake of this discussion, Orchestra is a mechanism by which
bare metal systems are rapidly and automatically provisioned (much
like ec2-run-instances does for the cloud).  The Orchestra-managed
bare metal system is installed, rebooted, and taken to the point at
which it runs cloud-init, and "discovers" its identity (perhaps as an
Ensemble Agent).

Ensemble's interaction with Orchestra is still in the discussion
phase, but rest assured that the Ensemble Team and the Server Team are
discussing these touch points and will take this bit of feedback from
your team as an essential implementation goal.

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Core Developer