Sprint Feedback

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Jun 2 15:55:55 UTC 2011

> The goal is that this 'utility instance' should be scaled like any other
> ensemble service, with the distinction changing to its just an internal service.

Yeah, that's a good point to raise: we want Ensemble to self-host eventually.

> We've had some discussion of having some sort of 'policy' formulas which
> always run at the machine level to allow them to tweak the machine configuration,
> setup logging, landscape-client, etc. This would allow propogation of updates
> in whatever manner people see fit (auto, landscape). This broader topic
> is definitely an area of active discussion.

This is a more ambitious feature.  Tom seems to be asking about the
upgrade feature we already have in the short term roadmap.

> Version compatibility for formulas isn't enforced by ensemble, its more
> of a governance and policy question i think. Ensemble does support the
> notion of formula upgrades propated to a service's units executing a formula
> upgrade hook.

Right, this is one of the very important features of Ensemble:
formulas are encapsulated, and can change.  Compatibility is defined
by the way the formulas communicate through their relations only.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net