Ensemble on Arm

Robbie Williamson robbie.williamson at canonical.com
Fri Jul 22 13:32:43 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 12:46 PM, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> Excerpts from Tobin Davis's message of Thu Jul 21 11:57:42 -0400
> 2011:
>> So, beyond using ensemble to launch an instance (which works on
>> Ubuntu Arm btw), How can this be used to setup an arm server or
>> cluster?
>>

> The biggest issue atm for ensemble on arm is probably the lack of
> java.
>
> This can be worked around as java is only needed for the bootstrap
> machine the and the zk cluster, the machines and images used for
> services don't need it. So that would be more of a mixed mode usage
> with a few x86 servers for the zk setup, and the rest of the arm
> machines for service deployment. In combination with the orchestra
> provider this might work pretty well to setup an arm cluster.

As I understand it, there is java for ARM, however the performance of
OpenJDK is less than desired, and using the proprietary version requires
the purchase of a license.  Given a **real** ARM cloud won't be feasible
until post 12.04, we can at least test with OpenJDK and perhaps a
licensed version from Oracle to compare performance of Ensemble...to
determine the impacts.

--
Robbie Williamson <robbie.williamson at canonical.com>
Canonical USA

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)