LXC Directions

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Mon Jul 18 19:07:42 UTC 2011

Hey Clint,

> LXC has been something I've heard mentioned hand in hand with Ensemble
> since the very first time I heard about Ensemble at UDS-M. I think I
> understand the directions that have been proposed, and I think its time
> we had the discussion so that we can enable LXC for local dev at the very
> least, and hopefully also for many other purposes in Ensemble.

I thought we had sorted this out live during the sprint.  As we talked
at that time, we want to use LXC in the context of service units, and
will get the local dev story almost nailed down with that because we
can deploy multiple units within the same machine with this already.
Then we'll need to sort out the ability to use machine-0 for
deployments, and finally a provider that recognizes that the local
machine is a bit special in some regards.  We'll need to do these in a
very piecemeal style, with very small well tested branches one at a
time.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net