Experimental LXC provider

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 18 15:50:38 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Jonathan Lange's message of Mon Jul 18 06:59:22 -0700 2011:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer
> <gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com> wrote:
> >> I have been hacking on an LXC provider this week, and I believe its basically
> >> consumable for those who are willing to deal with weirdness.
> >
> > That's amazing, Clint!  Let's reserve some time to check it out and
> > talk about it this week.  I'm eager to know your findings and feelings
> > about the experience.
> >

> Very cool indeed. Almost enough to push me over the edge to start
> formulating some of my own services.
>
> Anything interesting come out of the in-person conversation?

The most important development that came out of it was just getting
it running on a couple of other peoples' machines.. working out the
assumptions and kinks. I actually wish I had done more of this but we
had quite a few things to accomplish that week.

These are my current TODO's for getting this into Ensemble:

* Have a public discussion (here on the ML)
* Write a spec
* Get broad acceptance on said spec.
* Make sure the implementation matches the spec.

The first two are essential to have accomplished by August 8th, which
is when we'll all be gathering in Austin for a containers sprint. If
acceptance isn't done by then, we'll probably need the face time to
work out an agreement, otherwise we can use it to do some accelerated
development with the LXC experts on hand.