Storage support?

Adam Gandelman adamg at canonical.com
Wed Jul 13 19:48:22 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 07:30 AM, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was asking Clint some questions about Ensemble yesterday and we got
> to talking about EBS (I was trying to determine how to make the
> Mediawiki example be persistant and stored in EBS). I haven't hear
> much discussion about storage an Ensemble so we thought it would be a
> good topic for the list.
>
> Here's a brainstorm of how I think it would work in the existing example:

> $ ensemble deploy --respository=examples amazon-ebs
> $ ensemble add-relation mysql amazon-ebs

I agree that it would be very useful.  I don't know about handling it
from within a formula, though.  If formulas are concerned with deploying
and exposing services, it may not be a good idea to begin considering
things like block devices a service (elastic or otherwise).  I'd
personally prefer to see storage provisioning handled internally by
ensemble in the same way machines are currently launched.  This would
allow ensemble to abstract away the details of each storage type into
the corresponding provisioner/environments (EBS for EC2, SAN for
Cobbler, nova-volume for Openstack, etc). As an added benefit, it would
keep the corresponding cloud credentials in the ensemble environment and
not require them to be dispatched to nodes/zookeeper via formulas.

-Adam