Ensemble shakes hands with MediaWiki

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Fri Jul 8 20:31:01 UTC 2011

> I'm really excited about this, and think it will be a mutually
> beneficial effort for our projects. Our architecture is fairly
> complicated, and I think is a good large target for the Ensemble
> project. Having more people familiar and working with our architecture
> is extremely helpful for us.

We are excited as well, Ryan.  It's important to see the project
receiving feedback from complex deployments and field testing.  It's
also a good time to join in, because there's time to shape the face of
it into particular goals that are relevant for you.

> I'll be available to answer any questions about our current
> configuration, and provide guidance on how things should work to
> properly match our environment.

Thanks.

> The major initial goal of this cluster from the ops perspective at
> Wikimedia is to have an environment where volunteers can directly
> participate in daily operations. Changes on the test/dev portion of
> the labs environment should be able to be directly applied to our
> production cluster (after code review and approval by the core ops
> team). So, something I'd love to see come out of this collaboration is
> to determine if it is possible for us to use Ensemble in both the labs
> environment, and on the production cluster, as a mostly seamless
> effort.

Absolutely.  Given the way services are integrated, deploying your
entire operation again in a testing environment should be a couple of
commands away, and any blockers towards that goal is a bug we want to
see fixed.

So, how do you envision we can start collaborating towards this?

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net