Ensemble shakes hands with MediaWiki

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 8 20:14:48 UTC 2011

> - We agree that the openstack cloud is a good ground for experimenting with next-gen devops tools
> - Ryan agrees to let us have access to their openstack cloud, where the Ensemble community would attempt to model their environment in Ensemble.
> - Ryan mentions having lots of ops documentation on http://wikitech.wikimedia.org and configuration files at http://noc.wikimedia.org
> - Ryan will be helping the Ensemble community with this project, and will try to attract ops volunteers to help write and maintain the formulas
>
> Here's the log http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/07/07/%23ubuntu-ensemble.html#t22:37
>
> Next Steps: The way I see it, this can be a good step to have MW as the first upstream to adopt Ensemble in their internal ops. Should we want to proceed with this, we need someone to step up and engage with modeling the MW ops environment in Ensemble. Any takers for this ?

I'm really excited about this, and think it will be a mutually
beneficial effort for our projects. Our architecture is fairly
complicated, and I think is a good large target for the Ensemble
project. Having more people familiar and working with our architecture
is extremely helpful for us.

I'll be available to answer any questions about our current
configuration, and provide guidance on how things should work to
properly match our environment.

The major initial goal of this cluster from the ops perspective at
Wikimedia is to have an environment where volunteers can directly
participate in daily operations. Changes on the test/dev portion of
the labs environment should be able to be directly applied to our
production cluster (after code review and approval by the core ops
team). So, something I'd love to see come out of this collaboration is
to determine if it is possible for us to use Ensemble in both the labs
environment, and on the production cluster, as a mostly seamless
effort.

- Ryan